My photo
A Chicago area girl born and bred, I've lived in Mississippi, Montana, Michigan, and...ten years in the wilds of northeastern Indiana, where I fought the noble fight as a book editor. Now, I'm back in Illinois once more...for good. (At least I intend to make it that way!)

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

How Did This Happen? (lol)

 So here I am, doing my Social Duty on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram...
...telling people to feel free to bop on over HERE and enjoy the writing therein...
...only to realize that with all this socializing, plus finishing the newest book, I haven't actually WRITTEN anything new in here for ...er...let's not say how long!

Added to that the fact that I'm repurposing a LOT of older material into "writing tips" every Tuesday...
...added to that the fact that I've been doing social events at church and helping a friend move...

Yeah. 
I really need to set aside a definite time to update THIS place, and my Website.
Because a lot is happening in my writing life.
I'm getting more attention now, and I might be getting that attention multiplied through a various set of social connections that even I'm having trouble keeping up with!

All this, by way of building a "platform." Upon which to do, what, precisely?
That, they don't ever clarify. It's just something they want to see, so that they'll be assured that someone, somewhere, will actually BUY your book when it comes out.

Seems to me if it's a whiz-bang terrific book, that ought to take care of itself.
But it doesn't. Because there's just plain too darn many books out there for ANYONE to sort through anymore. Thanks to the brave new world of indies, small presses, and dozens of "fan" sites upon which you can publish anything from essays to complete short stories.

And, it goes without saying, most of this is free to the public. Except for the poor indie author or small press author. Not to mention those of us trying to crack "traditional" publishing.

And waiting for "traditional" publishing to remember that there are some of us out here who ARE, in fact, traditional.  You know who you are. I don't have to tell you. 

Nevertheless, over the past four years I have written SEVEN books.
Yeah. Count 'em. SEVEN.
That includes my personal love-story memoir, which I don't anticipate ever publishing.
So SIX for public consumption.
SIX.
I didn't have six books to my name for the previous 30 years' worth of trying to crack this thing.

I am grateful.
I am also...consequently...really, really, really BUSY.

What have YOU all been doing?
Elaborate in the comments!

More to come,
Janny


No comments: