Thursday, May 26, 2016

Removing My Ladder from the Wrong Building

Came to an interesting conclusion last night, with a finality to it I haven't had before.

Much as I would love to write sweet romances, I'm going to quit trying to do it. 

Not because I "can't write" them--after all, I won a Golden Heart for one. <3 But it's as if the "window" for those books was only open for me during a limited time period, and that window has now shut.

This is not a bad thing. It's just as valuable to discover what you're  not as "good" at as it is to discover what your strength is.

I came to this conclusion after working on some stuff last night during sprint--a sprint that was very profitable in that I was able to crank out a whole bunch of words picking up where I left off, to see if there was "anything there." Reading through the remaining old material, however, I found myself thinking, "This is nice, but do I really want to go anywhere with it?"

I discovered that while I probably could go somewhere with it...I no longer really wanted to. And I could even see in that material how, to some extent, my heart wasn't in it...even though at the time I thought myself totally invested and enthused.

Just shows to go ya, you can fool even yourself sometimes. 

However, give me a neato psychopath, an innocent in his/her way, a reason for someone to get killed (or very nearly), and some romantic sparks flying all around it...I'm there. 

That's where I'll be from now on.

Yours for staying up past our bedtimes reading "just one more page"...


Janny

No comments: