Monday, January 13, 2014

Okay, So "Shortly" Meant...

...well, okay, it was a little longer than "shortly" between posts here. 

There are good reasons, of course. There are always good reasons.

One of them is the full-time-plus commitment I've had to Stylish Eve, a weblog for "Eve" of all ages to inspire, encourage, and give spiffy ideas for fashions, beauty, decor, and travel...among other things. I agreed to come onboard there in July, at which point I was put to the mettle writing 40 posts a week. Now, this may not sound like much, but it's 250-300 words per post, written around a collection of photographs from various sites. Architecture, home design, resorts (some of which are sinfully expensive), wedding pictures...and for most of which the "research" consists of my looking up on various sites to see who's written anything about the project at hand, and discovering no one has.

Which means it's creation of 10,000+ original words per week, not counting the brief "blurbs" I write at the end of each entry.  The research alone for 40 posts takes a full day, and we're talking 8 hours or more at that point. Then we get to the writing, which was targeted at 8 per day. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out that sometimes, I'd be writing these things at odd hours of the night just trying to catch up with the 8 per day I wanted to do to keep a 5-day-a-week pace.

Exhausted? Yep. Because I also do 98 percent or so of household management things. Cooking, shopping, cleaning, finances.  I bake for a meals-outreach service and both sing and lector at church. (What does the husband do? He's supposed to be in charge of car stuff. Sometimes that works...sometimes it doesn't.)  After a while, it became painfully obvious that I simply can't work nonstop 12-18 hours a day and expect to have anything left over for family, friends, and fun.

Something has to give, and something may be giving shortly. Stylish Eve's managers have called a hiatus on all work for January; no posts, and therefore, no income. And one of them is supposed to be meeting with me later on Skype. I'm not getting a good feeling about this.

But, like all the other strange things that have happened to me jobwise in January...we'll soon find out what's to come of this opportunity, if it's going to change, if it's going to increase or decrease, or if it's going to go away entirely.

In the meantime, I'm making an honest effort to change the way I do things in my writing work and earning life. Stay tuned. This could get interesting.

More to come,
Janny

No comments: