My photo
A Chicago area girl born and bred, I've lived in Mississippi, Montana, Michigan, and...ten years in the wilds of northeastern Indiana, where I fought the noble fight as a book editor. Now, I'm back in Illinois once more...for good. (At least I intend to make it that way!)

Friday, January 06, 2012

Going "Within a Yard of Hell"

There's a quote that runs through my mind frequently, usually when I hear the church bells ringing in our neighborhood:

"Some want to live within the sound of church and chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of Hell."

Lemme tell you something, folks.
I can't say for sure where "within a yard of Hell" would be, although I've certainly seen and been in neighborhoods that come awfully close, if they're not it.
And I've been around people who may well walk that path as their regular route, considering what I've felt, experienced, and heard from them.

So while I admire the bravado and sheer faith of that aspiration above...
...and heroic as that mission is...
...it ain't mine. And I don't want it to be mine. :-)
Call me a coward, call me an indifferent "church lady," or call me what you will...
Give me the church and chapel bell anytime. :-) No contest.

That being said...
writing-wise, at least, I'm about to deliberately start walking a path within a yard of Hell.
I've got a character who is evil. Purely evil.
Psychopathically evil.
And I need to make him convincing. More than that, I need to get inside his smarmy mind and his smarmy skin and make you feel him.
So I'll be walking within a yard of Hell for awhile.
Fortunately, I can come back.
But it ought to be a hell of a trip while I'm there.
Pun intended.

I'd say "wish me luck," but luck doesn't cut it when you're up close and personal with Hell.
I just pray I can carry this thing off.
Because if I can...

(heh heh heh)

Write on!
Janny

No comments: