Saturday, January 02, 2010

Oops!

Yup! I blew it. First day out of the chute of the New Year, and already I did something I had more or less vowed not to do...which is rant about political/cultural stuff.
In fact, I really want to disconnect myself from anything political to begin with. Trouble is, when you keep getting aforementioned slap to the face...it's kind of hard to ignore it or laugh it off. It's bothersome. It's annoying. And when I get annoyed, I tend to write about it.
(Or, as my husband is fond of saying, "Don't get her mad. Just don't get her mad.")


HOWEVER...
This is a new year. And I know I need a new approach to my life in order to bring my creativity back into the forefront and do justice to the writing gift God gave me.

And I know that ranting, in any form, gets in the way of that.
Not that ranting isn't, at times, necessary. I tend to get wrapped up in an injustice, an error, or an instance of just-plain-wrongness, and until I write about it and get it out of my system, that's all I can think about. It ties up my emotions, my words, and my productivity.
I'd like that to be different, but I've learned over the years that changing that part of me just isn't going to happen. I've managed to stem it at times, to convince myself that there are fights that aren't mine...but it isn't going to 100% stop. It's the way I'm wired, and I need to learn to work around it.
You might wonder, "Why can't you just write the thing out, and then burn it?" Or trash it...or the like. Yeah. For some people, that works. Unfortunately, part of the way I'm wired also is I have to tell someone this!!!!
And yes, I know it's true that 99% of the time, the people who need to hear a message I put out there are either never going to see it, are going to read it and dismiss it, or are going to get even more set in their ways.
As St. John the Baptist found out, preaching does some good...but it doesn't get everybody to change their ways, and sometimes it can cause you to lose your head.

Losing my head, writing wise, is not where I want to be.
Therefore...I'm going to spend some time here thinking out loud, over the next month or so, about how to change my routine so that it affords me more time and energy to write the things that matter.
To tell the stories only I can tell.
And hopefully, to have a lot more fun and be a lot happier doing it.Thoughts about the new year? What have you planned to do to improve your writing life?
Chime in any time!
Janny

No comments: