Friday, December 01, 2006

Friday Wanderings...

Be sure to stop by Ron Estrada's blog today and read his Friday Top Ten! They're always good, and this one's especially seasonally appropriate. Al Gore, indeed. (ack!) The persnicketyness of search engines being what they are, I was pleased to note that if I Google my full name, I come up with good links such as my website and the Page One mini-site, which I put up years ago when my book first sold. However, if I Google "Jan Butler," it's a whole other story. And not a very pretty one. If you do this, be prepared for some pretty foul language , in that you'll get a good earful of just what some people thought of the RWR letter I wrote. What I'd like to know is how these complete strangers thought they had the right to get personal enough to use a nickname for me...especially since they then proceeded to basically assert that I ought to crawl back under the rock I came from. I also wondered why the RWR editor thought it was okay to print "rebuttal" letters that could very easily be considered personal attacks on me when their official policy is, of course, that no personal accolades OR attacks will be printed. So there'll probably be one more letter I send off to RWR, this time NOT for publication. :-P On a happier subject, however, should you go to my website and look at some of the neato things there, be aware that it's going to be overhauled shortly; I'm getting myself out of the freelance editing business, in order to concentrate more on what God put me on this earth to do, which is storytelling. (Otherwise known as "telling lies for fun and profit.") I will be happy to mentor writers, critique work now and again, and otherwise enrich the writing landscape...but the best way I can enrich said landscape, in the long run, is to get more books out there. So that's where I need to concentrate my energies. There, and of course, on this blog! While you're running around online, don't forget to stop and pray. Kelley Renz's prayerful place is a good starting point, and then you can move on to some others as well. Praise God for Eucharistic Adoration, which I'm lucky enough to do in person every First Friday here at OSV...and while you're at it, don't forget to shop for your Advent Wreath supplies and Advent calendars. This is one of the most wonderful times of the year, and I'm going to make an effort to slow myself down enough to appreciate it and savor the Christmas season. Hope you can join me! Take care, Janny

2 comments:

Donna Alice said...

Is it Advent already??? Somehow it always sneaks up on me. I did manage to find my Christmas bins in OCTOBER, but for some reason I never store the Advent wreath in there. Maybe I'll splurge and buy a new one this year.

Just thought--a good analogy for writing is that most of it is the Advent season before the BIG DAY--publication. Let's all pray for more big days in this coming year.

The Koala Bear Writer said...

Haha - googling yourself is always fun. I did that, and discovered how many other people out there share my name. Actually, I did pop up in one place, and when, "Oh yeah, I'm on the web!" It was funny. Sorry, I don't have your reputation yet to be appearing all over! :)