Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Makes you glad to be a Catholic, it does

...had this thought, yet again, while on my morning walk. Now, don't get me wrong...I often have this thought. There are just so many darn good reasons why I'm happy to be a Catholic, as opposed to the 4,373 other denominations I could have landed in. But one of them came home to me in a new way while I was reading a very good Christian fiction book, A Stitch In Time by Allison Bottke. http://www.stevelaube.com/authors/allisonbottke.htm/ . Wonderful, wonderful book! Now, I'm not going to put any spoilers in, either. Suffice it to say it's a very real, very refreshing look at very human people, and we'll leave it at that. Chick lit/hen lit with a strong Christian presence. But at one point, the lead character is talking about how much she enjoyed a particular church communion service, with the music, and the spirit, and the "symbolism of Christ's body and blood," and how uplifting it all was. And I remembered thinking, Oh, honey, too bad you haven't had the real thing yet! Yep, that's another wonderful thing about being Catholic. Probably one of THE best things, as a matter of fact: what we call the Real Presence. Jesus present, Body, Blood, Soul, Divinity...in the Eucharist. So when we receive, we receive HIM. We don't "commemorate" Him. We don't "symbolize" Him. We take Him in. And for those moments, and for a long time afterward, He is literally present in our physical bodies. We are one with Him. United in a way that no one else on earth can claim. There's a wonderful line in one of the Mitford books, when the bishop is giving Father Tim the Eucharist in a home visit, and he refers to "touching God." Because high Anglicans, Lutherans, and more than a few other mainline denominations believe, as Catholics do, in the Real Presence...we literally ARE "touching God." So Allison...just between us...there's an even better edification than the "symbolism" of Jesus and His Last Supper. Way better. Ain't nothing like the real thing, and we've got it. And it's yet another of many, many reasons I'm--yet again--so glad to be Catholic. Come on and join us. See for yourself. One you experience the Real Presence, "commemorations" and symbolism will never again be enough. Janny

1 comment:

The Koala Bear Writer said...

Janny - this post caught my eye because of so many discussions I've had with my fiance (formerly boyfriend, formerly friend) over the last few years. I'm currently in the RCIA. When I first asked him, last September, why he became Catholic, he said it was about the Eucharist; if that was where God was, that was where he wanted to be. That hit me, because that's what I want. He's always said it's about the real presence of God in the Eucharist, and how he can't find that anywhere else.